Fun Fact: In college, one summer after a terrible semester, I received my grades and my friends and I decided drinking was in order to cope with the terrible-ness that were our grades. Drink of choice: Tequila...and WAY TOO MUCH of it. In fact so much of it, I couldn't even smell tequila for about 5 years after that without wanting to vomit. (This made bartending life really fun.. ) However, I've come a long way since then and slowly made my way back to loving tequila for all that it is.
SO, In honor of my favorite fake holiday: National Margarita day, I took one for the team, (LOL) and whipped up some fun new margs to try and am sharing the recipes right here! Both were amazing, both satisfied the spicy and sweet palette and you should DEFINITELY make these for yourself.
Smoky Jalapeno Lime Margarita
JALAPENO SIMPLE SYRUP
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 jalapeño, halved
SMOKY JALAPENO MARGARITAS
Juice of 2 limes
2 1/2 oz Jalapeño Simple Syrup
1/3 cup gold tequila
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 oz orange liqueur (triple sec or Grand Marnier)
Garnish: slices of jalapeño, lime wedges
SMOKED CHILI SALT RIM
1 lime, quartered
1 Tbsp smoked sea salt
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- To make the simple syrup, combine water, sugar and jalapeño in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat once sugar has dissolved. Let steep covered for 30 minutes. Discard jalapeño.
- To make the smoked chili salt rim, whisk together salt and chili powder. Add to a shallow bowl.
- Prepare two cocktail glasses by rubbing the rim with a wedge of lime. Rim the glasses with the smoked chili salt rim. Set aside.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine lime juice, Jalapeño Simple Syrup, gold tequila, chili powder, and orange liqueur for the margaritas.
- Fill the two rimmed glasses with ice. Strain cocktail evenly between the two glasses.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
This second recipe is heaven on earth and will taste so delicious, it is DANGEROUS.Next thing you know you're singing along to Queen at the top of your lungs and you realize its 10 pm and way past your #momlife bedtime. THAT. good.
BLUEBERRY BASIL MARGARITAS
4-5 fresh Basil Leaves
1/4 cup fresh Blueberries
1 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Lime Juice (about 1/2 a lime)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
2 oz Tequila Blanco
Cocktail shaker and strainer
- In a cocktail shaker add Basil, Blueberries, and Simple Syrup.
- Muddle until Blueberries are mushy.
- Add in Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, and Tequila.
- Cover and shake.
- In a small glass or margarita glass add crushed ice.
- Pour Tequila mixture through strainer over ice.
- Garnish with more Blueberries and Basil if desired.
Hope you enjoyed my two new fav margaritas! I hope you will try at least one of these out and tag me @klsd.co if you do!